Monday, December 29, 2008

NY JETS FIRED THEIR COACH

New York Jets Coach Eric Mangini is out, and owner Woody Johnson said this morning it was simply time to move in a new direction.
Johnson announced the firing of Mangini at a news conference this morning, according to a report in The Star-Ledger.
"This isn't a decision that we reached yesterday or 10 minutes ago," Johnson said this morning. "This is a decision that was basically running through the season. (General manager Mike Tannenbaum) and I talk everyday. ... We respect Eric for what he's done. But we want to build on the successful foundation that he's laid.
"I don't think it was one thing. It was just Mike's and my judgement that we had to go in a different direction. There's nothing specific that you can put -- it's a call that we made and hopefully it's correct."

Mangini was 23-25 in three seasons as the Jets' coach with two winning records and one playoff berth. The team lost to the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.
"It was hard, really hard," said Tannenbaum of firing his good friend. "I hope we can remain friends. I'm human ... I thought the team played hard yesterday. I don't think Eric lost the team.''
Johnson said the search is on for a new coach, and Bill Cowher's name has been mentioned most prominently as a possible replacement.

No comments: