Thursday, July 09, 2009

US WOMEN GOLF TOURNAMENT DAY 1 UPDATE

Na Yeon Choi of South Korea shot a 3-under 68 to take the opening-day lead of the U.S. Women's Open at Saucon Valley Country Club. Choi was one of just five players under par as the first round ended today.

Choi held a one-shot lead over Cristie Kerr, Lorena Ochoa and Jean Reynolds, who were tied at 2-under. Hee Young Park was the only other player under par, shooting a 1-under 70.

A second-year pro on the LPGA Tour, the 21-year-old Choi is seeking her first victory. She was the runner-up to Yani Tseng in the rookie-of-the-year race last year with nine top-10 finishes.

Choi, who started on the back nine, began quickly, opening with three straight birdies and reaching 4-under with another at the 14th. She added back-to-back birdies at the difficult second and third holes to reach 5-under but bogeyed 5 and 6 to fall back to 3-under. At No. 2, Choi holed a bunker shot for birdie, then made a 50-foot birdie putt at No. 3.

"Being [at the Women's Open] for the second time, being on the tour for two years now, I think I find it much more comfortable," Choi said. "You know, I now understand better about the magnitude of this U.S. Women's Open, and to be honest, I think I'm much more comfortable playing on this Tour and these golf courses than I do in Korea, so, you know, everything is good for me. I love the tour, and things are going well for me here."

-- Reporting by Mark Wogenrich, The Morning Call

No comments: