Wednesday, September 23, 2009

NAZARETH'S ANTHONY STAMPONE RECOGOIZED BY THE MORNING CALL

This was in the Morning Call on Wednesday

ANTHONY STAMPONE

Age: 18

Residence: Lower Nazareth Township

Class: Senior at Nazareth High School.

Of note: A four-year football starter for the Blue Eagles, Stampone plays linebacker and offensive tackle. He's been a letterwinner on Nazareth's basketball team since he was a sophomore.

Does it feel like these four years have flown by? Definitely. I still remember my first game as a freshman against Pleasant Valley. I was really nervous and the game was so fast.

How different is it playing for Coach [Rob]Melosky the last two years? A lot. We put a lot of time in during the summer lifting and speed training, and he gets the most out of every player.

Is he the ''mad man'' on the practice field everyone says he is? [Laughs] He can be at times, when he needs to be.

Think he'll have a little extra juice for this week's game against Parkland? I think so. He's told us it's about us, not about him, but he used to teach and coach there, so I think it'll mean something extra to him.

Which do you prefer, offense or defense? Defense, definitely. I can fly all around the field and make plays anywhere. And I'd rather hit than be hit.

What kind of influence did your older brother [Mike, now a junior offensive lineman at King's] have on you? A big influence. He pushed me hard -- and if I didn't do the work, I got beat up.

What do you do off the field? Hang around with my friends and play PlayStation 3.

Your favorite game? ''Call to Duty 5.'' I like shoot-'em-up games.

What's your favorite memory so far from both teams? In basketball, it would have to be beating Parkland in overtime last winter. In football, beating Emmaus a few weeks ago. It was a big win for us, and the old Nazareth team probably would have given up when they scored. We didn't give up.

I hear you've traveled a little bit. What's your favorite travel destination? Probably Las Vegas. I like all the lights and the atmosphere. I'm looking forward to going there someday and taking advantage of everything you can do -- when I'm older.

Where do you think you'll be 10 years from now? I plan to graduate college with maybe a business or accounting degree, and hopefully be settled down in my life.

No comments: