Sunday, September 25, 2011

Week 3 NFL Picks: No softballs to distract this time

FROM KEITH GROLLER

I was distracted by softball last Sunday. And then sore, very sore, on Monday.

We lost our benefit softball doubleheader to the Pates Oldtimers Blue. I think the scores were 13-11 and 18-14. My memory is vague because I got knocked to the ground by one of the oldtimers while attempting to field a throw from the outfield at third base. I am not kidding. I felt like Ray Fosse after getting bowled over by Pete Rose.

They ought to call the Pates Black and Blue instead of just Blue, because that's the way they play the game.

I told the guy who knocked me over he'd be a hero at Northwestern, Northern Lehigh and a bunch of other schools who have been looking to take me out for years.

At least a few dollars were raised for the American Red Cross which is what it was all about.

Anyway, finally clear-headed, I again amuse myself with another round of NFL picks. I missed one game last week and wouldn't you know it, I had it nailed. I knew the Steelers would kill the Seahawks. I just didn't include it on my post. And no, I am not counting that one on my record which is now a very mediocre 20-10 outright, 15-14-1 against the spread and 16-13-1 on the over/under totals.

As my friend Rico told me, it's better to either very bad or very good with the picks. Anybody can just be mediocre.

HOME TEAMS IN CAPS

CAROLINA (-3.5) 31, Jacksonville 20 -- Over the 43 -- Ok, I'm now officially on the Cam Newton bandwagon, too.

Houston (+4) 31, NEW ORLEANS 24 -- Over the 53 -- Texans have burned me twice. Not a third time.

New England (-8.4) 31, BUFFALO 28 -- Over the 53 -- Brady has been amazing, but the Pats defense not so much.

Miami (+2.5) 24, CLEVELAND 20 -- Over the 41 -- I am still blaming Browns coach Pat Shurmur for the offensive mess in St. Louis even though he's now a Brownie leader.

TENNESSEE TITANS (-7) 23, Denver 20 -- Over the 42 -- No Eastern Michigans on this Penn Stater's schedule. Mike Munchak is doing a nice job in Nashville.

PHILADELPHIA (-7.5) 35, New York Giants 16 -- Over the 48 -- Both teams probably wish they could get the Rams on the schedule more often.

MINNESOTA (+3.5) 24, Detroit 20 -- Under the 45 -- Lions are vastly improved, but Tigers are still Detroit's best team.

San Francisco (+2.5) 30, CINCINNATI 20 -- Over the 40.5 -- 49ers are the NFC West's best team, which means they're still only about the 15th best team in football.

OAKLAND (+3.5) 24, New York Jets 21 -- Over the 41 -- Chris Berman will probably bring up the "Heidi Bowl" again.

SAN DIEGO (-14.5) 34, Kansas City Chiefs 14 -- Over the 45 -- I was in the Chiefs locker room at Arrowhead last month. Did the "Groller Curse" spread to western Missouri? No, KC just is bad.

Baltimore (-4) 34, ST. LOUIS 10 -- Over the 41.5 -- No matter how bad it gets you won't see me start a "Bring Back Scott Linehan" or "Bring Back Marc Bulger" campaign.

CHICAGO (+3.5) 35, Green Bay 28 -- Over the 46 -- Jay Cutler goes the distance this time and gets his revenge.

Arizona (-3) 31, SEATTLE 21-- Over the 42 -- It's a good day for former Eagles quarterbacks.

TAMPA BAY (-1.5) 24, Atlanta 20 -- Under the 45.5 -- Falcons are vastly overrated, and Bucs are underrated.

SUNDAY NIGHT

Pittsburgh (-10.5) 30, INDY COLTS 17 -- Over the 39.5 -- NBC gets stuck with this one. Don't think for a minute this game would be on their schedule had they known Peyton would be out.

MONDAY NIGHT

DALLAS 24 (-4.5), Washington 19 -- Under the 46 -- A rare case where the Monday Night game is much more attractive than the Sunday nighter. Dallas, Washington and Eagles will all be 2-1 atop the NFC East by about 11:30 Monday night.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: