Saturday, April 27, 2013

Lehigh's Ryan Spadola goes undrafted, but will sign free-agent contract with Jets

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

FROM KEITH GROLLER


The call that Lehigh University's All-American wide receiver Ryan Spadola expected on Saturday afternoon never came.
But he did get at least one call before the NFL Draft was over on Saturday night; a call that could change his life.
That call was from New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan who said the Jets wouldn't be using a draft pick on him, but still really wanted Spadola on their team.
So, on Sunday, Spadola is expected to a sign a free-agent deal with the Jets and get a first-hand look at what could be one of the fascinating situations in the NFL considering New York's logjam at quarterback after drafting Geno Smith.
"I got a call from Coach Ryan during the sixth round and he told me the situation and that they had to focus on other positions in the draft, but they still wanted me," Spadola said. "I met Coach Ryan, their receivers coach and their GM and it's the place I felt most comfortable."
Spadola said that after such a buildup and getting positive feedback that he would be drafted, Saturday was "very draining emotionally."
"I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but there was some frustration and a little confusion," Spadola said. "The draft just went a lot different than what a lot of people expected."
However, he will get a chance to prove himself and he'll get to do it with a team in the backyard of the Howell, N.J. native.
In a tweet directed toward family and friends, Spadola spread the news: saying: "Taking my talents to NY. Can't wait to put on the GANG Green and be part of the Jets organization. Thank you for every1 who has supported me."
Spadola, who finished his Lehigh career with 232 receptions for 3,611 yards and 24 touchdowns, said he expects to report to the Jets' mini-camp in a few days.
"I'm still finding out all of those details," he said.
Spadola said the Jets made contact with him at the combine, came to his pro day at Lehigh and also invited him to a separate workout.
"It's a great opportunity for me to still play in this area and have my family and friends get to see me play," Spadola said. "That's the cool part of it."
Spadola said it's not the first time he'll be in a position to prove people wrong.
He had to do the same thing coming out of high school where he was overlooked by the Division I-A schools.
"I'm in the same situation, coming in as the underdog again and trying to prove people wrong," he said. "I look forward to the challenge. It's going to be interesting situation with the Jets. I got to meet Geno Smith at the combine and he's a great guy. I know I can work well with him."

No comments: