Friday, May 23, 2014

Liberty's Emily Cecchini has made her mother proud

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

FROM KEITH GROLLER


I know you can get this story elsewhere online if you look hard enough on mcall.com, but because I consider this young lady to be one of the most special people in local sports this year, I wanted to give this story some additional exposure here on Groller's Corner. Not because I wrote it, but because Emily Cecchini deserves it. So does Robyn Cecchini. This is one of my favorite stories of the year; perhaps many years.

Cecchini has done her mother proud with an amazing career at Liberty H.S.

The Lehigh Valley Conference's scholar-athlete and three-sport standout is a shining light to her family, and her school


This is the time of year of celebrations and ceremonies; an emotional flurry of events when many parents proudly get to salute their senior high school students and congratulate them on what they’ve accomplished in their scholastic careers.
It’s the season for pats on the back, hearty hugs, and, yes, tearful embraces.
Sadly, Robyn Cecchini won’t be there in person to congratulate her daughter, Emily, as she receives a multitude of honors for her academic and athletic success and then gets her high school diploma.
Robyn Cecchini lost her battle with cancer 14 months ago.Emily Cecchini AND Mom
But make no mistake, Robyn Cecchini (pictured with Emily below right) is still smiling, still extremely proud of her daughter’s amazing accomplishments and still shining through her daughter’s determination and grit.
Robyn Cecchini, and everyone who had a hand in shaping Emily Cecchini into one of the most special people in Lehigh Valley athletics, should be proud.
Put simply, Emily Cecchini is the epitome of what a high school student-athlete is all about.
Earlier this week, the third baseman on the Hurricanes softball team received the award as the Lehigh Valley Conference female scholar-athlete of the year at a breakfast ceremonySignings_38
She was also the individual sport scholar-athlete for both softball and girls swimming and was Liberty’s nominee in cross country.
Hurricanes athletic director Fred Harris interrupted my one-on-one interview with Cecchini on Thursday to say something I don’t think I’ve ever heard another AD say before.
“There are few times in life when someone so young is a role model to adults and this young lady is a role model to her administration, her teachers and coaches,” Harris said. “I hope that my daughters — who are age nine and 12 — can grow up to be half the person that Emily is. We’re so proud of her, professionally and personally. She’s a role model to us, and reminds us of why we do what we do.”
Cecchini is headed to the U.S. Naval Academy and while such an appointment requires special circumstances and a nomination from a someone important — U.S. Representative Charlie Dent in this case — the U.S. Naval Academy is lucky to be getting this young lady.
Her GPA of 4.8 (ranked No. 3 in her senior class) and the fact that she participates in three sports makes her amazing enough.
But when you consider that she achieved at such a high academic level while going through the most extraordinary adversity that a young could person could experience — losing her mother as a high school junior — you more readily understand why everyone at Liberty will be rooting for Cecchini as she goes to Annapolis.
When you talk to her, you hear a very determined, strong-willed person who will not allow any obstacle to impede her from attaining her goals.
“Ever since I was little, I jam-packed my schedule with a billion different things,” Cecchini said. “Now that I’ve gotten older, I think being so busy and so involved has really helped me with time management. Having to juggle everything and give 100 percent all the time, has pushed me.”
Seeing her mother go through her battle with cancer didn’t knock Cecchini off course, although there were many difficult days.Emily Cecchini
“I was not in a very good place when it first happened,” she said. “I struggled coming back. It was a struggle to get into a normal routine again. But her passing also motivated me.”
“I decided to do things that would make her proud if she were still here. I wanted to live for her and make her proud because she had a huge, contributing factor into making me the person that I am today. She instilled in me a tremendous drive and work-ethic to be the best I can be. That never left me.”
Her father, Bill, who is an assistant principal at Freedom said: “Emily emulates her mother. She got all of her great traits from her. She was affected as anyone in her shoes would be by the passing of her mother. It devastated her. But Emily has never let anything stand in her way.”
Emily Cecchini was in eighth grade where her mother first was diagnosed with breast cancer. The cancer was in remission for several years, and even when it returned, Emily thought her mother was going to beat it again.
“When that didn’t happen, I wasn’t completely prepared for it,” Emily said.District11-4asoftball-semifinals20
She credits her teammates and classmates for helping her get through the emotional torrent of losing someone so close so quickly.
“I had amazing support; so did my whole family,” she said. “The cross country, swimming and softball team showed up en mass to my mom’s viewing. When they walked in, it was so amazing to me. Their support meant so much. Without it, I don’t think I’d be where I’m at today. Sports, in that aspect, is so great. The strong connection with your teammates is what sports is all about.
“We had a ‘Pink Out’ softball game and a ‘Run-for-the-cure’ race and we donated a lot of money in my mother’s name. It was such a great thing for me to know I had people in my life that I could lean on.”
Now, her younger sister, Sarah, a Liberty freshman, is leaning on Emily.
“My dad has tons of obligations at Freedom and losing my mom did force me to step up a lot,” Emily said. “My dad is doing a great job of juggling things, but I do more with Sarah now. We’ve come together more now than ever. I do what I can for her. I will miss her when I go to the Naval Academy.”
Liberty will miss Cecchini. As lucky as Liberty was to have Cecchini, she feels lucky to have had Liberty in her life the past four years.
“I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else,” she said. “The people I’ve met, the opportunities I’ve had here. I feel truly blessed. I have faced some battles and been put in some difficult situations, but I am stronger for it. I know the U.S. Naval Academy will be a great challenge, but I think I am ready.”


No comments: